Come, Mommy

Monday, January 21, 2008

Little Kids Are So Literal

Tonight I heard Kevin and Liam in the living room. We've had issues recently trying to instill the idea of privacy and private activities in our son; his hand are often in his pants because, well, he's a little boy. (Why did no one inform me that this is one of the downsides of potty training?)

Kevin: "Hands out of your pants."

Liam: "Why?"

Kevin: "Hands out of your pants!"

Liam: "But I just like my hands IN my pants."

Kevin gave up and retreated upstairs. Liam popped into the kitchen with me, hands still you-know-where, and repeated a phrase that someone at school taught him. (This particular phrase is neither vulgar nor rude, but is very, very annoying should someone repeat it over and over while, say, one is fighting morning rush traffic on Route 1. Yes, I ended up begging him to be quiet or at least say something else.) And just to be sure I was paying attention, he said it about three more times.

Me: "Dude, are you just trying to annoy Daddy and me?"

Liam (absolutely horrified): "Oh, no! Oh, dear! Actually, I was just trying to annoy Daddy!"

Me (trying hard to look stern): "Well, thanks for the clarification."

Liam: "You're welcome, Mommy."

And with that, he stomped off to find his father.

The silence, she was golden.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • He's a clever little boy, your Liam :)

    I do know the 'hands-in-your-pants' issue with boys. I found they grew out of it pretty quickly, though, and I am sure Liam will, too.

    But my question is - why was he trying to annoy Daddy, anyway?

    Heidi :)

    By Blogger Family Adventure, at Tuesday, January 22, 2008 2:34:00 AM  

  • Oh, no! Oh, dear!
    what a gorgeous response.
    daddy is the Funny Man in our family too.
    i love it that you *enjoy* your kiddos so much X

    By Blogger skatey katie, at Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:14:00 AM  

  • Heh! I love it! We never hit the hands in the pants stage with C, but A on the other hand...

    By Blogger chichimama, at Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:38:00 AM  

  • oh whee - thanks for the heads-up about hands in the pants. LOL

    and that's too funny about wanting to annoy daddy!
    i want to know what this phrase is that drives you all batty. do tell.

    By Blogger Crunchy Domestic Goddess, at Tuesday, January 22, 2008 5:03:00 PM  

  • Finally! I have just been so bogged down of late that I haven't had the chance to read your blog and get my fix of levity, brevity, complexity, and simple truths that eminate from Mr. Lemur. I'm so glad that I found my way back! Give Mr. Lemur and the cub hugs and mooches from me, will ya? And hey, we oughta start up some Scrabble games, you and I.:)

    By Blogger Robbie, at Wednesday, January 23, 2008 6:08:00 PM  

  • hehehe. love it! :)

    By Blogger Steph, at Thursday, January 24, 2008 2:26:00 PM  

  • Heidi - I have no idea...because Daddy isn't home during the day to be fair game for pestering?????

    CDM - The phrase is "Hooby bother and Hooby blow." It's from the "Hoobs" which is a (cute, imo, but truly I didn't say that) PBS kids' show. And he picked it up at a Waldorf school...but it's better than what I was truly saying aout the traffic..

    By Blogger Liesl, at Saturday, January 26, 2008 2:49:00 PM  

  • Aw, so cute!

    By Blogger Victoria, at Monday, January 28, 2008 7:55:00 PM  

  • OK- that one made me snort!! Very amusing. We've been through the hands-in-pants stage, and are currently in the hands-on-the-dog's-a-hem stage, which is quite irksome. Does that happen with ferrets? ack. My favorite though, was the "oh dear." got to go to my google reader and make sure this one shows up on our bloglist, if we still have it. (lots of transitions) xoxox Amy

    By Blogger amakice, at Thursday, January 31, 2008 10:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home